Monday 8 October 2012

Kefee Exclusive: ‘I don’t live all my life spiritually’



She is many things packed into one: singer, wife, cook, business woman and performer. Taking time out of her busy schedule, the Delta State born singer spent time with Nigerian Entertainment Today, to talk about her many struggles with controversies, rumours and stereotyping.
Not long ago, you announced your intention to release two albums back to back. Why did you make that decision?
It’s been a while [since] I released an album and I have a lot of songs, so I decided to separate them because I have some beautiful choruses I would like to share. I made this first one [about] the spiritual part of me, and the other, the physical part. Both albums are going to be called ‘Best of Both Worlds’ and will contain 12 songs each. The spiritual one would be called ‘Chorus Leader’ because that is what I have always been. The other album, ‘Beautiful’ which is the physical one, has some playful songs on which I featured Duncan Mighty, Skales, Lami, Omotola, Becca and other artistes.
You are regarded as a gospel artiste, now you’re releasing an album with secular songs. Don’t you think that is a contrast to what you are known for?
I don’t think so, because as a Christian, I don’t live all my life spiritually. I am a human being and I don’t have a manual on how to live my life. The manual we have is the bible, and even the bible teaches us to make good use of every opportunity we have. I cannot get inspired to write a song, a love song for instance, and refuse [to write it] because people in church won’t like it. We fall in love in the church and that is not spiritual, but physical. We also play in the church because all work and no play… We have pastors who have businesses all over, it doesn’t affect their spiritual life. I do what I think is good, as long as it is right and inspiring. This is not the first time I am doing a song that is not ‘churchy’. I have written songs about Nigeria, the African woman and others. It is still the same Kefee.

How and when did music come into the picture for you?
Music was just part of me but my mom was in the choir and my dad still sells musical CDs. I just grew up into it. The very first performance I can remember was at the age of eight and I was in primary four. There was this programme and children were expected to come and make presentations at the adult church and I did my part so well, my father was very proud of me. I then joined the adult choir and became the director at about the age of 18. A friend of mine, ST released an album with me in 2001 and that was how I started Branama.
When did you decide to go into it professionally?
In 2003, when I released Branama. The album was released in October, but it finally got into the market in 2004.
Did you experience any fear while trying to break into the industry?
There wasn’t a serious fear, it was just that before, I was always in a group. I was used to standing with a partner on stage. That was the only thing. The recording was also stressful. I recorded most of my songs in Port Harcourt, even though I was in Lagos. I think I passed out during one of the sessions. At the end of the day, it was beautiful, Branama came out. Even till today people still ask for the song.
Talking about Branama… The song till today remains a classic. What inspired the song?
I had reasons to be happy at that time, that is all I can say. Branama means show off. I asked God for something and He did it for me, and I thought it was the best to do the song. That was actually the last song on the album, it wasn’t expected. I just sat in front of our house in Sapele when it came to my mind. I was sceptical at first, then I sang to my producer and we went to Port Harcourt. At first, he didn’t get it, but we recorded it and it was a success.
How do you feel about the stories written about your personality and the genre of music you do? For example, some criticize your sense of style as being too elaborate for a gospel musician.
Well, I am first of all, a human being. I decided to do the kind of music I do and everybody cannot love me. There are many people who love what I do, so I cannot bother myself about the few who do not. I personally cannot like what everybody likes. There is no manual to do what I am doing. Nobody said ‘Kefee, this is the way it should be done‘. This is my life and this is the way I am. If you see me dress like that, that’s the way I feel. If you see me put hair on my head, that’s the way I feel; I cannot put myself in the box. I like freedom of expression because that is what makes life interesting.
So you are saying that your sense of fashion has nothing to do with your spirituality?
My sense of fashion is beautiful. That is between me and God. I have a personal relationship with God and I’m not in a position to force anybody to like what I do. We have so many religions in this life, we have so many views. Everybody cannot believe in the same thing, so I don’t think I can be bothered about that. My sense of dressing is beautiful and that is me, Kefee, and it’s beautiful. If you’re not comfortable with the way I dress, you have options, but I think I dress beautifully well.
Still talking fashion, are there limitations for you, especially because you are a gospel artiste?
I don’t have limitations and it’s not because I am singing praises to God, [it's because] I’m not the kind who loves to expose my body or wear short things out. Anything that is good and looks beautiful on me, I will wear. Even if I wasn’t a Christian, I would actually be the way I am.
Away from fashion, there is a controversy about your age. Some say you are 21 others said 18. Tell us, how old are you?
I think it was on my birthday and a friend, Evaezi put on twitter that I was celebrating my 21st birthday and people started retweeting. I actually thought it was a joke. Even if I decided to say anything, it is my life, that period, I just released a single with Becca and in that single, I introduced myself and even gave an idea of my age. I’m an early 80’s child, and I am proud of it. That to me is not an issue, it was just a distraction and I shouldn’t even think it as a controversy.
You recently posted something on twitter about knacking and the best time to. What inspired that message?
Forget about that one….*sealed lips*
Let’s talk about your kitchen. Why did you decide to go into that trade?
I decided to open it because I have a passion for food. And that is like a dream come true because I’ve had it in mind for a very long time.
Years before you started out, did you think you were going to make it this big and in such a short time?
I just live in the present and I hope for the best. All my life, I have always wanted to sing. People loved to hear me sing and I had a lot of fans in our compound. I just realised people would love to hear me sing, not just Sapele or Nigeria, but the world too. I think I have something the world needs.
The music industry seems to be biased towards artistes that produce more uptempo songs. How does this affect you as a gospel artiste?
I am not tied to being a gospel artiste, and of course, while singing inspirational songs, even Christians want to party. They know these songs and want to dance away all the problems we have. Nigerians are happy people, regardless of all. Right now, everybody wants to dance and we are dancing.
One other trend is the use of slang or other measures to ensure the songs are remembered. Do you see yourself falling into that category soon?
We get inspiration differently, the same way it is possible for us to see one thing and write about it differently. It depends on how you want to look at things or talk about it.You have heard ‘Beautiful’ and that is how much I can go to describe certain things.I may not want to go into details and talk about certain things, but I make sure I pass my message across, so that even children would hear it and understand what Kefee is saying. I am not the type that will say ‘Shake what your mama gave you’. Some other people can do that. I don’t think I wanna do that. I don’t have to be vulgar.
Do you see yourself as a gospel artiste?
As Christians we do a lot of things. I wake up in the morning, I start worshipping God, I kinwo I have to work out and do other things, and those things are physical. If you call me a gospel artiste, there is nothing wrong with it because I believe in God, I worship God and I love and represent Him everywhere I go.

Cullled: Nigerian Entertainment Today

No comments:

Post a Comment