Friday 4 January 2013

Fire guts another building in Lagos



The house
Barely 48 hours after two buildings were razed in Ebute Meta area of Lagos, a storey building was on Thursday gutted by fire on Igando Road, Ikotun area of the state.
It was learnt that the fire which torched the building on 64, Igando Road, Unity Bus Stop, Ikotun, was caused by an electrical fault on the first floor.
Our correspondent who visited the scene observed that the fire destroyed over half of the first floor which has four-room self-contained apartments.
It was gathered that the inferno which started some minutes after 10am spread quickly as a set of cushion chairs on the corridor where the electrical fault occurred caught fire.
Eyewitnesses said two children whose parents were not around when the fire started were trapped in the building but were evacuated by neighbours with a ladder through the window of their apartment.
One of the victims, Anthony Bamidele, said the quick intervention of firefighters of the Lagos State Fire Service prevented the whole building from being consumed by the ravaging fire.
Anthony said, “As soon as I heard the spark, I went outside to see what was happening and surprisingly, I saw that there was fire already. Before, I came back from where I went to get a bowl of water to quench it the whole place had gone up in flames.
“I immediately dashed to my apartment to save my two-month-old baby and my other two children. They were evacuated through the entrance of the backyard.”
Anthony’s wife, Jennifer, said the incident was a big loss to her especially because it came at the dawn of the New Year.
“I thank God that none of us sustained any form of injury or died as a result of the inferno,” she said.
Meanwhile, the Lagos State Fire and Safety Service has said it quenched no fewer than 33 fires across the state between Tuesday and Thursday.

Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment