Friday 6 December 2013

Amaechi’s enemies are not my enemies –Rivers CP

Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi

The Commissioner of Police in Rivers State, Joseph Mbu, on Thursday appeared before the National Human Rights Commission to deny allegations of partisanship levelled against him by the state governor, Rotimi Amaechi.
But Mbu admitted that the governor’s enemies were not his enemies.
Amaechi had in the petition accused Mbu of various forms of human rights abuses and insubordination.
The governor also alleged that the crime rate in the state had risen as a result of Mbu’s attitude.
He asked the commission to investigate the petition and ascertain whether Mbu was fit to head the police formation in the state.
Following the development, the commission commenced investigations and invited the governor and the police commissioner to state their respective sides of the story.
On October 18, 2013, when the two parties were invited to appear before the commission, only Amaechi honoured the invitation.
In his meeing with the Commission’s officials, he expressed his readiness to make further appearances, whenever he was called upon.

Mbu did not show up until Thursday.
In an encounter with journalists, after meeting for several hours behind closed doors with officials of the commission, Mbu denied all allegations levelled against him.
Mbu  insisted that, contrary to the popular belief that he ignored Amaechi as the state chief executive, he engaged in regular communication with the governor.
He also denied insinuations that he took directives from President Goodluck Jonathan and the First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan.
The police commissioner stressed that he had never called the First Lady, or received phone calls from her.
He also said he had no access to President Goodluck Jonathan, as widely believed.
Mbu said he was only concerned with discharging his duties in Rivers State.
He said, “I am the Police Commissioner of Rivers State. It is my duty to protect everybody.
“I do not belong to any political party, but you know that once you are doing the right thing and you are not favouring a particular group, you will be labelled as an enemy.”
Reacting to allegations that he ignores the state governor, Mbu said, “It is not true, my phone is there – even yesterday I spoke with my governor.
“The day before yesterday I spoke with him about four times.
“Last week, I was in his office twice where we held security meeting with other service commanders.
“I think the issues in Rivers State are overblown.
“We are working with the governor amicably, but one thing is clear – the enemies of the governor are not my enemies.
“I am a police officer, an umpire and my job is to make sure that I protect everybody who is in Rivers State.
“That is my professional calling and I stand by it.”
Mbu insisted that there were no differences between him and the governor.
He said, “We have never been at loggerheads except that I am a professional police officer, I know my job and I do it well.”

PUNCH NG

No comments:

Post a Comment