Monday 27 January 2014

Martins gives up on World Cup

Martins
Estranged Super Eagles striker Obafemi Martins has resigned to fate on his inability to get coach Stephen Keshi’s attention over his recall to the national team as they prepare for the World Cup in Brazil.
Martins has only featured once under Keshi during a World Cup qualifier in 2012 but has not been able to keep his role in the team since then.
The former Levante forward was asked by the Seattle Times if he knew what to do to convince Keshi in order to rejoin the Super Eagles, he said, “I think there is nothing to say. He’s the head coach, so he knows the players that he wants. There is nothing I can talk about, (nothing) like calling him.”
Martins was recently linked with a loan move to Rizespor and West Ham during the MLS break but none of the move was possible despite his visit to England for the transfer talks.
“I think right now I’m not going to talk about anything right now because I’m back in Seattle. I want to start with the team and we’ll see where it goes from there,” he said.
 “I think it’s good to have a break, because playing in Spain, coming back here, coming to Seattle, starting right away, I think I’ve been playing for like a year, a year and a month or so. But it’s good to have an offseason, to have rest, and then come in today (Saturday).
“I don’t really think about last season. This is a new season now. We just have to continue and try to do better than we did last season.”

No comments:

Post a Comment