Friday 28 October 2011

I’m an extreme person who plays and works a lot, says Fred Amata

Fred Amata is a multi-skilled Actor, Producer and Director. He is a brand in Nollywood and idolised both locally and internationally. He is every woman's delight because of his physical appearance and charisma. In this interview with Jonathan Eze and Mariam Olubiyi, the Isoko, Delta State born entertainment icon spoke on his life, styles and upbringing.
How would you describe yourself?

My name is Fred Amata, a film maker, a producer and a director. I am a graduate of  Theater Arts from the university of Jos, and by the grace of God, one of the pioneers of the phenomenon  called nollywood . I'm a Nigerian from Isoko in Delta State, which is populated by people from Warri. So to speak, you can actually call me a Warri boy because I grew up in Warri. I grew up in a chalet of moral upbringing. I grew up on the chalet of absolute honesty, love.

Your growing up, how was it like?

Interesting, I grew up in several places, my father was several things including a lecturer. A lot of my growing up years were in campuses,for what is today known as the Abraka campus of the University of Benin. In those days in the college of education Abraka was fun. During Easter and Christmas time,   I personally organise my  friends including people like Emeka Osai who was a neighbour  and his father was also a lecturer in same college  of education. We used to gather  friends together and we used to act different stories like the resurrection, birth of Christ among others. I grew up like watching daddy's film freedom and through the years until I went to school . In Edo college, I remember  we did a stage play,and I had to play the role of a woman. Its been fun and very exciting.

Can you recall some of the pranks you played as a youth?


All boys play pranks, so the answer is yes. Should I tell you what kind of pranks I played? Just normal  pranks, I remember a time in Education  college Warri. My father was the principal and he used to play soccer like I play now and he was having siesta one day and my younger brother was disturbing. Every time something happens, he cries and my father would say I shouldn't let him hear his voice again but I would be the one sitting somewhere and make him cry without doing anything. When my father came out, I took off and he ran after me and gave me a tackle, he caught me and I was thoroughly trashed .

What about with the opposite sex?  
I started quite late and that was when I finished secondary school and transiting to the university. They were exciting. We played different pranks and we were full of life and vibrant and we had to travel all over just to have fun. I have always been a popular kind of guy and I used to do stage plays so I was always in the eyes of female fans. I played soccer, I did 100meters, 200 meters,high jump, volleyball and basketball.

What is your sense of style, I mean fashion?

I think fashion is all about simplicity and intelligence.  It's knowing what suits you and how to use what suits you, that way, you must know how to move according to the time and what is in vogue.

Like I said, it's understanding the trend and selecting from the trends things that suits you most. Black always looks good on me and coming here today, I thought I was going to be dressed officially but when I was taking my shower I decided , why not pick black and white. It has to do with simplicity and purpose.

You are a brand in the industry and no doubt, it goes with challenges. What is your take on this?

The challenges I faced are not different from what most people experience inspite of the fact that I come from a  background of theater and an understanding family. One of my major challenges over the years was that I always seem to believe that things have not been done properly and a lot of times, I stop working because  I can't get it right. People have said I am too meticulous by taking up some jobs and apart from that, the usual challenge of being misunderstood . I am an extreme person that plays and works a lot, those are my challenges.

I know you travel a lot, which place would you say is your favourite spot when you are not working?


It's a good question because in truth, I had always believed that Egypt would be my favourite hangout, but unfortunately, I have  never been to Egypt. Egypt as one of the most ancient cities of the world and I love archeology and arts and Egypt has a lot of that to offer. Kenya is my best sight and luckily I've been to Kenya but I can name other places like New York, London, Dubai and others that are well known beautiful relaxation spots and I also believe that you make the experience.

What would you not be caught wearing?

That's a tough one because I don't think you can catch me with that .I am an actor and I like to portray character and depending on whatever the roles picked, I can wear anything but in my private life, I prefer simplicity, I probably would not be caught wearing a sweater in Nigeria because I sweat a lot but apart from that, I believe there is no material that cannot be manipulated to suit a person.

Over the years, I have had several designers and today I am  working with a young upcoming designer Olugbenga Freak, he's currently handling my wardrobe. II ve had designers like Frank Oshodi, a lot of people have clothed me over the years.

The designers that you have, Nigerian and foreign which would you say is your favourite?

That's a tough one too because I would have to be breaking them down from suits,casuals,dansikis and others, that's how it goes, not just one. We live in a vibrant society of creative minds and I think you would be reducing your ability to stick to one of these extremely talented designers.

How do you recreate?

I unwind a lot. I am an extremist. Today I play soccer and it's one of my greatest recreations.  play regularly and I'm a member of several football clubs in Lagos, I'm in the all stars international football club and in the club we have one outstanding man, Governor Tunde Raji Fasola. Also all stars is made up of ex-footballers like Segun Odegbami,Friday Ilaho, Tunde Moshood and football administrators like Uche Ebgulam and Siasia himself is a member of the club. I'm also a member of Arsenal football club and in all stars we have great men like Chukwu Amadi of UBA ,and we have great minds like Udoh Useh among others.

What is your favourite food?

Banga soup and starch. I am a traditional man.

Culled from Compass Newspaper

No comments:

Post a Comment