Monday 5 March 2012

I want to surpass Okocha – Joel Obi

Joel Obi
Super Eagles and Inter Milan midfielder Joel Obi has set his sight on high saying he would achieve more than Austin Jay Jay Okocha in the world of football. The player who spoke to MTNfootball said measuring his life goals with that of Okocha would not be fair when told that many fans of the national team view him as the next Jay Jay.
He said, “I thank them (fans) for that compliment. It means they love and appreciate my qualities as a footballer. I am a young man who is ready to put in anything I have for Nigeria and my club. I will do my best for Eagles, but mind you I am not Okocha and I can’t be Okocha. There can never be another ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha; he made his mark in Eagles while he was there.
“I am Joel Obi and I am aspiring to do more than Okocha in the national team. He has done a lot for Nigerian football and I wish to surpass him. I will do my best so as not to disappoint Nigeria, myself, the fans and the coach.”
The young footballer who has featured in the UEFA Champions League this season said one of his major ambitions as a footballer is to set a record with the Brazil 2014 World Cup.
“I want to make it big. I want to be one of the best in the world and win a lot of trophies at club level. I want to play and win the Africa Cup of Nations starting with the one in 2013 and I wish to play at World Cup in Brazil in 2014 and set a record. I want to be among the first set of Nigerian players to reach final of the FIFA World Cup or at worst reach semi-final in Brazil,” he said.
Even though the Eagles have struggled in all directions for a long time including the belaboured goalless draw against Rwanda last week, Obi thinks the Nigerian team is well equipped to aim for such World Cup glory.

PUNCH NEWSPAPER

No comments:

Post a Comment