Tuesday 17 September 2013

After quitting Barclays Bank job, dad refused to speak with me for 3 months- KC Ejelonu


When KC Ejelonu decided to dump a very lucrative job at Barclays Bank in 2010, not everyone thought she knew her onions. The Imo State-born actress who became known for her lead role in popular television series, ‘Tales of Eve’, speaks with JOAN OMIONAWELE on her experiences on the Nigerian movie scene. Excerpts
Why did you dump your juicy job at Barclays Bank?
I wanted to do what I wanted to do; to follow my passion. The pay was good, but I wasn’t fulfilled or happy.

As a young banker, what were the things you had to grapple with?
I wouldn’t say it had anything to do with us not being Nigerians, because some of my siblings were born in the United Kingdom, so they had dual nationalities; but while working in Barclays, meeting up with targets, actually doing so much work and not getting fulfillment wasn’t cool at all. All I used to say after getting my salary was ‘Okay, cool, I can go shopping at the end of the month’.

So, how did they feel when you said you were coming back home?
My dad was not happy at all when I dropped my resignation letter and told my mum. She said, ‘I did not hear that; you did not just say that. You know what, just wait till your father gets home and you will sit both of us down and tell us’. She did not want to be the only one to listen to it, so that my dad wouldn’t come home and think we both planned it. When my dad got back and I told him, he just ignored me; he thought I was messing around, and the next morning, I told him I was really serious, because the day I turned in my resignation was the day I booked my ticket, which was just a week from that day.

When you were leaving, what was the drama like?
My dad called and asked where I was. He said, sternly, that I was not going to get on that plane; that if I did, he would never give me a penny again. I told him that I did not need his money anymore because I had saved up. He got more upset when I said that. As a typical Igbo man, he just couldn’t understand it. When I got to Nigeria, I called my sisters and my mum, but when I called my dad, he did not pick up. He did not speak to me for about three months; but when he heard that I was doing my National Youth Service, he was really proud of me because none of my siblings or cousins had come back home for the programme. After some time, his friend also read an interview of mine and told him I was really doing great, my dad told him to send the paper to him and my dad had it framed.

How educated is KC Ejelonu?
I had my undergraduate degree in business administration and my Masters in International Marketing. I went to the drama school, which was part-time evening classes. I later proceeded to film school earlier this year.

When you came into the industry, how were you able to convince producers about the stuff you were made of?
I did not need to convince anyone; when I get notices of auditions, I go for them. I go there on time. I get all my roles through auditions, and in all the auditions I have attended, I have been noticed. It was hard at first because my accent was really strong.

You just said it was hard. How hard was it?
There was a time I went for an audition and it was with Desmond Elliot. He said he did not hear anything I said. I used to talk very fast, so I had to readjust. It’s a lot easier now.

Let’s talk about the movies you did on EbonyLife TV
I did three movies for EbonyLife TV. It’s directed by James Omokwe and two others.

How did you get to feature in Tiwa Savage’s Ife Wa Gbona video?
I had seen Tiwa a couple of times, so there was a time Don Jazzy had a chat with everyone and asked people to join in the making of the video. I put up my picture and got a notification that Tiwa liked a picture of mine and then a few weeks later, I got a call from a director who said he wanted me to play a role in Tiwa Savage’s music video.

How many movies have you featured in so far?
About 20 movies in all, comprising full length movies, series, stage plays and short movies.

What’s your idea of a perfect man?
He must be loving and humble. I really want to enjoy my private life as I am a stay-at-home kind of person. He must be romantic.

This means you are also a romantic lady.
(Laughs) Yes, I am a hopeless romantic.

What keeps you going even in your down times?
My family. Anytime I am having a bad day, they are just a phone call away.

Tell us about your first day in front of a camera.
Hmn. I love the camera, but behind it, I am as shy as hell. I am a different person when the director says ‘Action!’ There’s another character in me and I call her ‘Rachael’. She is the outgoing person, and KC is the quiet person. My first day on camera was with Joseph Benjamin, and that was the first day I had met him. He was amazed at the kind of energy I exerted; we had a ball. It was fun.

When you have to kiss an actor on set, does your dad not say anything about that?
He knows his daughter. I don’t let anyone tell me what to do. I enjoy making my own decisions, even if it turns out wrong or right. He knows it’s the job. Even when I have to travel, he Skypes with me; he prays that the man I end up with would be happy with what I am doing. He is happy with it, because I wouldn’t tarnish my image and I am grateful for that.

As a young girl, what was the weirdest or most stupid thing you ever did for love?
I was young and stupid. My dad doesn’t know this. I once gave my entire savings to my boyfriend, but I made sure I took another job while I was studying to be able to pay back. I would tell him that I was in the library, not knowing that I was at work. That was the most stupid thing ever, and it’s never going to happen again.

Are you still dating him?
No, that was a long time ago.

What were you always teased about while you were growing up?
I was teased about my big backside and my big nose – which I got from my dad.

How do you pamper yourself when you are free?
I go to the spa a lot.

What do you love most about the Nigerian movie industry?
There is a chance for young acts to grow and get noticed. If I was in the UK, it would take me years to get known; it’s only by luck. But in Nigeria, there is a space for everyone to be the best they can be, and people are coming back home, bringing more knowledge.

And what pisses you off most about the industry?
Time management; I mean ‘African time’. Sometimes you go for an audition slated for 7am; it won’t start till about noon or 1pm. It’s really frustrating because you have to dedicate your whole day to that.
Also, the fees paid to actresses need to be worked on. A couple of people walk up to you and ask you to act for free, and they end up saying they are doing you a favour. Well, that’s nice; but there are some of my colleagues like OC Ukeje, that I look up to for advice, and they help me handle stuffs.

A producer once complained that you were too fat for a role. What was your reaction to that?
If the character needs to be fat, that’s fine. Another thing we lack in this industry is when the bells for auditions are rung, they are never specific. Thus, the fat, the slim, tall, black and short would come for auditions. So when a chubby person comes up and you complain that the person is fat, I say ‘I am sorry, you did not make that obvious in your notice!’ But sometimes, I might take it in my stride to work on the weight, but I wouldn’t be a skinny stick. I can do that for a role, but after that, I would go back to my size.

In a few years, what is that thing that you still want to become even as an actress?
I want to be respected. I also want to be able to handle my career with my family life. It’s really hard and I give kudos to Omotola and Omoni Oboli.

Culled: Nigerian Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment