Monday 30 September 2013

President: I never said I wouldn’t contest 2015 election

President Goodluck Jonathan
President Goodluck Jonathan on Sunday said contrary to reports making the rounds, he had never at anytime promised that he would not contest the 2015 presidential election.
He also denied the claim by Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger State that he signed an agreement with some Peoples Democratic Party governors for only one term in office. He challenged anybody with a copy of such agreement to produce it.
Jonathan was fielding questions from a panel of journalists during the Presidential Media Chat in Abuja on Sunday.
He answered questions ranging from politics and education to security, economy and power.
When pressed to be specific on whether he would contest the 2015 election, the President insisted that it was too early to make his intention known adding that doing so would violate the Electoral Act which stipulates the time frame within which politicians can declare their interests.

The President, however, said the fact that he had not declared his position did not mean that those who were interested in the seat could not go ahead and start working.
Jonathan said, “There was no agreement with anybody that I will serve for only one term. If I had signed any agreement with anybody, they would have shown you the agreement.
“I did not say that I will not contest in 2015. In Addis Ababa, that was when I advocated single term of seven years. My argument was that to  be more productive, maybe we should consider single term of seven years.
“ I said if Nigerians agree to that, I may not be involved. I did not say I will contest or not. Those who said I have signed an agreement, they should show the agreement.”
The President blamed past governments for the continuous campaign of violence being carried out by members of the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram.
He said the needless killings would have been avoided if the menace of the sect was curbed from the beginning.
“Boko Haram did not start today. I was Vice-President in 2009 when (Mohammed) Yusuf (Boko Haram leader) was killed. People talk about Boko Haram as if Jonathan caused it. It started before 2009 but because it was not handled well, it has grown into a cancer and it has become terrible. If something happened and you don’t take the right action, it will continue. But I can assure Nigerians that it will be brought under control,” he added.
When asked whether Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, was truly dead, the President replied, “I don’t know whether he is dead or alive. I don’t know him and I have not seen him before.”
The President, who regretted the protracted strike by members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, described the action as unfortunate. He added that it had been politicised.

PUNCH

No comments:

Post a Comment