Monday 20 January 2014

Weirdest thing a female fan has asked me for —Ali Baba

After acquiring a degree from the then Bendel State University, Ekpoma in 1990, Atunyota Alleluya Akporobomerere (popularly called Ali Baba) relocated to Lagos, having discovered his comic talent in a country that did not take comedians seriously. It was a tough struggle gaining acceptance for stand-up comedy in Nigeria, but he did not give up. And today, Ali Baba has grown his brand to an amazing proportion.  In this interview with JOAN OMIONAWELE, he opens up on his career, marriage and private life. Excerpts
Before you became a comedian, what were those days of humble beginnings like?
I used to make my own sandals and belts. I celebrated festive periods with hand-me-downs. Even my matriculation suit was a ‘hand me down’. But I was so happy when I saw someone with just a shirt and trousers wearing his matriculation gown.

Can you remember a particularly unforgettable thing you did for acceptance as a totally new comedian back then?
I did lots of free shows and begging to be allowed a few minutes at seminars, AGMs (Annual General Meetings) and workshops.

What has been your driving force through the years?
My major driving force is to prove to my dad that I did not need to study Law to make it.

What’s your typical day like?
When I wake up, I gist with my wife, pray as often as I remember and then go through my social network activities. I talk with my GM, plan what will be discussed on Ali Baba Seriously, then go for my exercises. I make sure I get back, drink my lime and water mix, have a bath and have breakfast. Then it’s off to the office, if there are no early appointments outside the office. And if I don’t, I do school runs.

Do you sometimes wish you were not a comedian?
Yes, sometimes, I wish I was a copywriter or an advertising practitioner, or even a public relations consultant. These days, I even wish I was a columnist.

Why? What part of being a comedian do you hate the most?
Not being taken seriously, and yet, some daft people who cannot tie two opinions together with their fragile string of intelligence will say, ‘He is just a comedian’. Meanwhile, funny enough, in some cases, the speech the keynote speaker is presenting was written by me.

Is any of your children trying to be comedians?
Well, my kids are all funny, but not on commercial level. There is an architect, a media professional, a creative artiste, a DJ and music producer and a lawyer. But they keep changing their minds, but comedy veins run through them.

Do you and your wife often argue about the career path of your kids?
No we don’t.

You seem to have lots of people asking you for assistance on Twitter lately.
It’s expected. It comes with the territory. Once you have been down the path many want to go through, chances are that the serious ones will ask. Even things as common as the use of a bathroom; if you are at a party and you are pressed, and you are skeptical about the state of the bathroom, you will ask someone who you know used it, what it’s like. The same thing applies on Twitter and any other platforms.

What is the weirdest thing a fan has asked you for?
A fan once asked me to come visit her dying mum in the hospital because she was in love with me from the days of Friday Night Live.

 Did you grant her request?
Of course, I granted her wish and went to see her mum.

Aside comedy, what other hobbies do you have?
Comedy is not a hobby though; but let’s just say I understand your point. I love photography, drawing, swimming, football, long jump and dancing.

What projects have you been up to lately?
Consolidating, developing and harnessing my talents in different ways

And what other investments are you into?
My children, properties, shares, oil and gas.

Are you also thinking of acting movies?
I have done one, My guy, which also happens to be Rita Dominic’s first movie. But the hours spent shooting one movie are longer than the same amount of time you would have made five times the fees as MC and comedian. However, the thing about movies is that they are more remembered.

On a lighter note, are you a romantic person?
 I just try.

So, what do you do to spice up your marriage?
There must be trust and then humour. Be there when you are needed. Provide for the home. We watch movies from time to time. It’s important to talk a lot. I am often challenged by couples making their marriages work. Forgiveness also must play a major role. Then sex.... All the works.

Before you got married to your wife, did she have doubts about getting married to you?
Naaaaaaa. She was convinced beyond unreasonable doubts sef.

How do you handle your female fans?
It depends on what needs to be handled. But if I tell you, it will kill the efficacy of the strategy. It’s 100 per cent effective.

What is your fashion weakness?
Suits, white vests, belts and buckles, ties, pocket squares, ankle and lace up shoes...

Have you ever been booed off stage before?
Yes. I have; it was somewhere in Ikeja GRA. It was a swimming pool party. The guests were drunk and jokes were the last thing on their mind. And a handful of the boys were returnees for Christmas in 1992. They even collected the microphone from me.

You are in your mid 40s, if I am right. What do you do to keep fit?
I swim. Okay, I play football too. Then I do some aerobics, weightlifting, controlled and informed dieting. I also detox now and then.

We heard that there are plans to have a body called Association of Stand-up Comedians?
Yes, there are plans. It’s been a long time coming.

Will you ever retire from comedy?
Yes.

When would that be?
I don’t really know; I’ve not thought about it.

These days, there are so many comedians out there. Are you not bothered about stiff competition?
Competition? Not at all. I still hear some trying (not doing, trying) to do what I did many years back. But there are a handful who impress me greatly. They spark of intelligence, creativity and originality. But rather than bother me, I’m impressed.

Since there is nothing like piracy in comedy, what do you do when a comedian steals a joke you actually came up with as his own joke?
I tell myself that’s why I am better. I actually then rate the comedian on his delivery and not on his originality.

Will there ever be a law for that?
There should be a law regulating that. I am sure there will be. But it’s still a growing industry.

Have you ever felt like giving up?
No. One thing I say when I am asked this is that you only give up if you have given all that it takes and it didn’t work. That has never happened.

Source: NIGERIAN TRIBUNE

No comments:

Post a Comment