Wednesday 6 March 2013

I’ve Not Experienced Sexual Harassment In Nollywood -Benita Nzeribe


Benita Nzeribe, a Nollywood star actress can be described as one of the luckiest actresses in the country, having started as a teenager in the industry in the late 90s. And at the age of 28, she became a veteran.
The Ihiala Local Government Area, Anambra State-born actress who just got a multi-million naira deal as the Ambassador and  Face of Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), has appeared in many movies. Without mincing words; she is a talented  actress based on  her blockbuster performance in a TV  drama series “Beyond Our Dreams”  and several other hit movies.
The Nollywood star actress, despite her shyness is a reporter’s delight any day. The beautiful and sexy actress  spoke with showbiz last week after signing the multi-million naira deal that confirmed her global rating as one of the emerging  stars in Nollywood.  


When did you join the industry?
I have always been there. Remember, I started early. I became a star as a teenager, and I grew up in the industry.

Did you learn acting or you’re talented?
I can’t say I learnt the act of acting, to me it is natural. I started acting when I was very young. I was just 13 years, so I never learnt or studied it. I actually went to study English at the Abia State University, and not Theatre Arts, as many people expected me to have done. When I joined the industry, I knew I did not make a wrong choice, but that did not make me to study Theatre Arts instead I went to study English.
Somebody must have influenced your choice of acting?
Hmm! I will say the late JT Tom West; he was so influential to my career.
Did you ever encounter sexual harassment when you joined the industry?
God designed me in a good way. I was not sexually harassed, simply because I was picking up in soap opera. In actual fact, other professions also experience sexual harassment; it is not only in our industry, it happens everywhere.
What about the issue of broken marriage; it is very common among celebrities especially in Nollywood. What is your stake on this?
I hate it when people say that broken marriage is rampant in Nollywood, it is not like that. It also happens everywhere.  And thank God, there is no more issue like that again, now we are getting married every day, but you people will not report that, but when there is a broken marriage, you will turn it to paparazzi.
Have you ever thought of acting in Yoruba film?
Not really, you know I am not a Yoruba by tribe. Though some of them have invited me to come and act in Yoruba before, I declined because I can’t speak  Yoruba fluently.
But one of your colleagues, Uche Jombo who is not a Yoruba by tribe acted in Yoruba movie?
It all depends on the line. If I am given a minor role that is not so deep, I can also do it.
You are now the face of Nigeria Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), your reaction?
Yes, I am now the face of Nigeria Airspace Management Agency (NAMA). The managing director of the agency, Nnandi Udoh told me it was an honour well deserved, he also assured me that NAMA had put in place the necessary logistics to commence area radar control of the country, with the aim of improving service delivery and assuring us safety at all time and I am not going to disappoint them.
This must be another challenge for you?
I don’t see it as a challenge rather it’s a way to give back to my country.  Moreover, it is not a negative thing but a positive move.
The deal must have increased your bank accounts to millions of naira?
I don’t want to discuss on the monetary aspect of it.
Let’s talk about your love life
(Cut in) ‘wetin you wan know about my love life? Abeg forget that one’, my love life is not for public consumption.
But your fans will like to know?
‘Na lie, na you wan know am’.
There was an interview you granted last year where you explained the reason you flushed your engagement ring. Did you?
(Cut in) I have told you I don’t want to discuss anything about my love life.
Could you tell us your kind of man?
My man should be straight-forward, sincere and God-fearing.
Tell us five things that people don’t know about you
I am a very shy person, I am sensitive, I keep to myself, I don’t like to hurt people, I prefer people to hurt me and I also like enjoyment.
ok

Culled: global excellence

No comments:

Post a Comment