Wednesday 5 October 2011

‘I’d Marry My Husband All Over Again But…’ – Joke Silva

Joke Silva and Olu Jacobs at her 50th birthday
Three days to the 50th birthday celebration of screen idol Joke Silva and her ‘Renewal of Marital Vows’, our team of reporters paid a visit to her Ikoyi home, where she grew up; and the encounter was nothing short of beautiful. The warm, accommodating mother of two boys took us through her childhood memories as well as how she’s carved a niche for herself in the entertainment industry.
Although she refused to spill her trade secrets lane, Jay speaks on her 25years of marriage to her 69 year old husband among other things.  Between losing their only and eldest daughter and being swindled by movie pirates, the England trained actress, mother, wife, daughter and reality show principal chronicles her five decades in this interview. It’s the 26th of September, 2011.
How does it feel to be 50 in a couple of days?
I’m looking forward to the day. I feel blessed that colleagues, friends, and family feel that it’s worth celebrating. Yeah!
Tell us a bit about your childhood days. Where did you grow up?
I started out life in Yaba, then my parents moved to Glover Road in Ikoyi when I was about the age of five. So I basically grew up in Ikoyi. Then we moved to Ikeja when I got married. And now we’re in our own house in Ajah.
Were your parents professionals?
My dad was a lawyer. He retired as Legal Advisor to UAC. He died 14 or 15 years ago. My mum is a medical doctor, and she’s 85.
Wow. Are you looking at surpassing her age?
If the lord is willing; in good health.
How many siblings do you have?
We are five. I have an elder brother and three younger sisters
Was there any pressure being the first girl? With your parents being working professionals, you must have had to do the family cooking very often.
My mother never made cooking a chore for us or for me. Whenever she was in kitchen I always joined her. I learned to do everything. It was fun. She used to love baking on Saturdays especially. I used to do all the mixtures with her and I used to get the bowl and the spoon after we put everything in the oven. This was years earlier before blenders and other cooking gadgets came on. One thing I hated was grinding pepper. Ooh, I had to grind pepper on that stone; pepper, tomato, onion and beans if we wanted to make ‘Akara’ (bean cake). There is really hardly any Nigerian dish I can’t make. The only thing I can’t do is pound yam. I can cook some Eastern dishes like Banga soup and Starch. I cook some Ghanaian dishes as well but erm, pound yam? No way.
Does it mean you do your cooking yourself?
Not all the time. I have a cook. But once in a while I may. I do it ‘cos I feel like not ‘cos I have to.I really don’t have the time to cook now as I used to. And also when you train someone to cook the way you like. Why not employ him/her to cook to your taste.
Would you repeat the same thing all over again?
Ha, no o! I would marry the same man all over again but this time I’d like to be maybe four years older. That would close the gap a little. I got married at the age of twenty-five.
Read the full 'extract' of the interview here
 Courtesy: NIGERIAN ENTERTAINMENT TODAY MAGAZINE

No comments:

Post a Comment