Tuesday 7 August 2012

Maryam lost focus, Weightlifting coach screams!


Not only that. The African Queen of weightlifting did not place in the event as her last lift in the Clean  and Jerk(160 kg) frittered away the  points she earlier garnered.
Many have blamed the coach, Patrick Bassey for not starting her with lesser weights rather than introducing her to 160 kg after lifting 129 kg.

‘’She would not have been in contention for the bronze. Her closest opponent had a lesser weight and would dislodge her. I had to raise her to 160 kg because she is no stranger to that.
She lifts 170 kg. This is not the time to trade blames. I did not come here to admire London Bridge. We came here to win but Maryam lost focus and concentration.
I don’t know what happened, but she bungled it. It is painful. I brought her up and I know her capability”, Bassey who denied himself the luxury of the food at the Olympic Village after the contest said.

No comments:

Post a Comment