Thursday 13 October 2011

Don’t mount pressure on me -Akala trial Judge

IBADAN-Justice Moshood Abbass hearing the case of the immediate past Governor of Oyo State, Otunba Adebayo Alao-Akala and his former Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters, Senator Hosea Agboola and a contractor, Mr. Femi Babalola being tried by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC on alleged misappropriation of funds totaling N25 billion has alleged attempt by some unnamed people to influence his decision.
He therefore warned all parties in the case and their agents to avoid trying to influence him in whatever manner.
“I want to reinstate the fact that I am warning all the parties involved on this matter, I mean anybody who might derive any interest in the matter, not to try to influence my decisions in this case. I will order the immediate arrest of anybody who makes any attempt to influence me one way or the other. I have my name and integrity to protect. Enough is enough. When I say enough is enough, I know what I’m saying. Those who are concerned know themselves.”
Akala and his aides are facing an 11-count charge to which they had pleaded not guilty on Tuesday.
At the sitting of the court yesterday, hearing began on the bail application by Mamman Osuman (SAN), counsel to the accused persons, who told the court that his prayer for bail was informed by the ill-health of his clients.
He said, his client, Akala was already due for check up and that his health required constant medical attention from his physician adding that Section 19 of the Advanced Fee Fraud and other fraud Related Offences and Section 39(4b) of the ICPC Act accords the court legal capacity to admit the accused persons to bail.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment