Friday 10 February 2012

Boko Haram: Nigerians flee to Cameroon


BOMBED POLICE STATION
SOME Nigerians have fled to neighbouring Cameroon to escape the incessant deadly attacks in the North, particularly by Boko Haram.
Boko Haram has claimed to be fighting for an Islamic state in the North, but its demands have varied.
“Everybody is insecure in Nigeria. The fear is all-pervading,” a Christian priest told AFP on condition of anonymity in Fotokol, a Cameroonian border town where some Nigerians have taken shelter in the last few weeks.
Fotokol is located about 100km from Maiduguri.
The priest added, “Many Nigerians like myself have fled their villages. We feel secure in Cameroon.”
“That is why I am sheltered here.”
He has rented a house which is about 10 minutes by motorcycle to the nearest town in Nigeria, Gamboru Ngala, where he heads the local Catholic church.
It is difficult to gauge the exact number of Nigerians who have fled to Cameroon as they cross the border illegally, but there are easily dozens sheltered in Cameroon since the attacks in the North.
Mahamat Tujani, a Muslim trader from Maiduguri, fled to Kousseri near Fotokol.
He said, “I abandoned my business and my family to seek refuge at the home of my cousin. I escaped out of fear.
“But if the killings continue, I will bring over my family members here.”
Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the January 20 coordinated bombings and shootings in Kano that left at least 185 people dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment