Tuesday 7 February 2012

I’ve learnt my lessons – Siasia


Samson Siasia
Former Super Eagles coach, Samson Siasia, says he has learnt his lessons as a coach during his short stint as coach of the Nigerian team.
The former Eagles striker was sacked late 2011 after he failed to qualify Nigeria for the ongoing 2012 Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.
Asked if he would take same decisions he took while in charge of the Eagles if he got another chance with the national team, Siasia said there were certain things he would avoid if he got another coaching job.
“Every successful coach learns from the mistakes they have made. I am happy to have learnt my lessons and next time when I come back, I will be a better coach,” Siasia said at the MTN Football Hub in Lagos on Sunday.
“I don’t think I would do some things I did with the Eagles. When I started coaching, I usually give my list to the NFF or is it NFA they are called now, for approval. But each time, I gave them my list they went behind to discuss it. I don’t think I will take that again.
“Anytime we came to camp, there was one issue or the other. Mikel (Obi) came late for our last Nations Cup qualifying game and I just gave him a fine. He said his brother lost his passport and he was trying to help out.
“Is he a passport officer? For me, he shouldn’t be there (camp) but to allow peace reign, I allowed him into camp,” he added.
Siasia had a frosty relationship with some ‘big players’ in the squad like Mikel, Osaze Odemwingie and goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama.
While the 1994 Nations Cup winner fielded Mikel and Osaze in the crucial final qualifier against Guinea, he left out Enyeama and the Eagles crashed out after a 2-2 draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment