Thursday 14 July 2011

Be yourselves, don’t try to be likeme, Soyinka warns

NOBEL laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, Thursday, in Abeokuta , took a cursory look at his experience and asked Nigerian children and youths to drop the idea of attempting to emulate him in activism.
Prof. Soyinka who clocked 77 on Wednesday made the statement Thursday when Ogun state governor Ibikunle Amosun led no fewer than seventy-seven students, drawn from the 36 states of the country and diaspora to the icon’s house in Idi-Aba Abeokuta to celebrate with him.
Addressing the well-wishers in his living rooms, Prof. Soyinka warned all the77 children on the visit to drop the idea of emulating him saying “be yourselves”.
According to the Nobellaureate “ It is sometimes problematic to be Prof. Wole Soyinka. Be yourselves don’t try tobe like me “ he said.
While expressing surprise over the Birthday party organised by Ogun state Government, Soyinka said “ I heard nothing, everything was organized behind me. The topic, I have no idea. I became a visitor in my house. Hospitality I contributed nothing”.(vanguard newspaper)

No comments:

Post a Comment