Saturday 3 September 2011

‘I have had enough of living my life in the pages of newspapers’

Steph-Nora Okere is an A-list actress in Nigeria’s movie industry.From acting in the movies to even producing her own movies with her ex-husband, Lanre Falana, Steph as most of her friends prefer to call her, in this interviewbares her mind on her career, her failed marriage and her lifestyle.
Excerpts
Sometime ago, you lamented how Nollywood failed you.Has this industry rewarded you now?
I didn’t say Nollywood failed me like that. WhatI said, was that where we were hoping Nollywood would be, is not where it is at that time.
There was a derailment, because of the incursion of some people who are not coreprofessionals but businessmen.
And I do not hold my grudges against them because they brought money into the industry.I’m talking about the marketers we allowed them to derail us, to thepoint where money waswhat mattered and not the art.
And we are paying for it, but my happiness is, from the last time I said that, till now, thereis a new dawn in the industry.
Would you also, say that Nollywood, has felt your dreams and aspirations?
To a very large extent yes. But I’m not living my fantasy yet. Thoughit has led me to the pedestrian where I can believe that, it’s possible. As a little girl, growing up, I cremed to be an artiste.
And when I was clearedof what part of the industry, I want3ed to belong, I was sure, it was music and acting. Then I got admission tostudy acting, and that the least, my family could permit me: yes, Nollywood has taken me to a pedestrian where I can aspire for my dreams in m fantasies; to be one of the biggest actresses internationally, someonewho can be remembe4red for my arts. It’s achievable; because anything you can dream, you can also achieve.
The same way Nollywood has brought fears, joys and mixed-feelings to a whole lot of artistes, what has the industry brought to you?
Just name them, fears, joys, and mixed-feelings. I’m a positive thinker, even when something happens that is not so nice in thecourse of doing my job, I’m quick to understand that it’s part of the job. Click vanguardngr.com/2011/09/mercy-… for the rest of the story

No comments:

Post a Comment